Cancer-Related Lymphedema: What You Need to Know
In this webinar we will discuss the condition of cancer-related lymphedema. Presented by Jodi Steele and Debbie Ciotti-Bowman, this webinar will:
- discuss what lymphedema is;
- briefly explore how the lymphatic system works and touch upon the risk of lymphedema occurring in certain cancer types;
- outline treatment and helpful hints in self-care and management of lymphedema;
- discuss considerations that individuals with this condition need to be concerned about;
- discuss resources that exist in Canada to support individuals with lymphedema;
- discuss considerations when interacting with the medical system and ways to build a personal network to take care of yourself and successfully manage the condition of lymphedema.
Jodi Steele earned her kinesiology degree in 1997 and a physiotherapy degree in 1999 from McMaster University. Upon graduation she began co-developing an oncology rehabilitation program, Cancer Rehab: The Next Step. In 2005 her husband joined her and founded Cancer Rehab Inc., a not-for-profit centre aimed at improving the lives of those living with cancer.
In 2009, Jodi designed, developed and launched Wellspring’s Cancer Exercise Program. Wellspring’s program, similar to what was offered at Cancer Rehab Inc., is now accessed throughout southern Ontario at five locations. She continues to work with Wellspring providing annual training sessions.
Presently Jodi is a professor at Niagara College teaching in the Fitness and Health Promotion and OT/PT Assistants programs.
Debbie Ciotti-Bowman, is a graduate of McMaster University’s Nursing program with greater than 30 years’ experience in hematology/oncology nursing in acute care settings, and both family practice and palliative care nursing in the community setting.
Debbie recently completed service of 3.5 years as a volunteer Board Director and Advocacy Chair for the Lymphedema Association of Ontario (LAO). Lastly, Debbie is a cancer survivor living with leg lymphedema.
Join CCSN, Jodi Steele and Debbie Ciotti-Bowman for this educational session on lymphedema and cancer.