McMaster Children’s Hospital: Family Advisory Council
The Family Advisory Council is a group of parents, family members and community members who volunteer their time to improve care and service. Family-centered care involves, recognizes and respects the partnership among the patient, family, and health care provider.
The council is composed of around 8-12 family members and 6 staff members.
Members are asked to commit to a one year term with the possibility of renewal. The council will meet at least 6 times a year from September to June. Meetings are held in the evenings for about 2 hours at McMaster Children’s Hospital. Working groups are formed as needed.
While many of the members spend numerous years on council, at least one year is required. As a family-centered group, they fully understand and support members’ need for flexibility. If you are interested in more information on becoming a family advisor contact the staff liaison below:
Staff Liaison: Family Advisory Council
McMaster Children’s Hospital Hamilton Health Sciences
Tel: (905) 521-2100 ext. 63007
For more information, please click here.
St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton: Patient and Family Advisory Council
The council is made up of patients and their families. It shapes the design, delivery and evaluation of healthcare services and programs at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton.
Some accomplishments include:
- Helping with design of healthcare spaces;
- Influencing the redevelopment of the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) to minimize the impact on families visiting critically ill loved ones;
- Developing new visitor policy revised from a patient perspective;
- Involving pilot projects including evaluating the Patient Mindfulness Therapy Program and developing a Patient Discharge Checklist;
- Improving communication through feedback software with Cancer Care Ontario for patients with suspected lung cancer; and
- Improving patient information at ambulatory clinics.
The Patient & Family Advisory Council members assist with the creation of long-term strategies and provide a patient perspective on broad issues related to improving healthcare services at SJHH. The council recruits members all year and involves a commitment of nine meetings annually (2 hours on a Monday afternoon at St. Joseph’s Charlton Campus).
If you are interested in joining the Patient and Family Advisory Council, please complete a general Application Form here. To submit a completed application or get more information, please contact: 905-522-1155 ext. 33148 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Director, Michelle Joyner, can also be reached at 905-522-1155 ext. 32760 or email@example.com .
The official website can be accessed here.