CCSN 2015 Webinar Series
The CCSN webinar series is of interest to patients, survivors, family, friends, caregivers, and any member of the community interested in the best possible care and follow-up for cancer patients and survivors. The impact of volunteering and taking positive action to effect change are important elements in the transition to post-treatment life.
Medical Marijuana in Canada
- Basic facts about medical cannabis
- The role of medical cannabis for cancer patients
- Q&A opportunity to ask questions about medical cannabis use and availability in Canada.
The IBM report on the pCPA
- What IBM was asked to do
- The input IBM received on the pCPA from governments, patients and industry
- Options considered and recommendations made
- Update on the development of the pCPA since the report was issued, and
- Perspectives on how all this affects patient interests
Informing treatment decisions for women with DCIS
- The latest in genomic testing and its role in cancer treatment
- The most recent results from Genomic Health’s second independent clinical validation study of Oncotype DX® in DCIS patients
- Q&A session about the implications of this research
How patient groups can have more say in the drug approval process
- The different steps in bringing a new medicine through the regulatory review process
- Health technology assessment and funding
- How patients can make a difference, and how their role is rapidly expanding
Social Media for Non-Profits - What Works, & What Doesn't?
- Defining and quantifying your social media goals
- Improving your posts and using all available tools
- Some common practices that should be avoided
How Prescription Drugs are Approved in Canada
- Who is responsible for prescription drug approval in Canada?
- How does the drug approval process impact patient access to medication?
- How can patients be involved in the drug approval process?
Healthcare in Canada - Who Does What?
- An overview of the basic roles and responsibilities of federal and provincial governments within our healthcare system
- A review of the key players and structures operating within the system
- The differences between engaging politicians and bureaucrats when advocating within the healthcare system. Each has important and different roles to play.
How to Engage the Media to Support Your Advocacy Activities
- How the media works, including recent examples.
- A variety of tactics to engage the media.
- How social media can enhance your advocacy activities.
Drug Access Navigation - An Insider's Perspective
- The role that drug access navigators play in Canada, and why they are needed.
- The challenges drug access navigators face on a daily basis.
- How drug access navigators can help you.
Engaging Your Local Political Representative
- Grassroots advocacy
- Engaging political representatives in your city or province
- Getting your issues on the agenda
- Current health policy context in Ottawa & the provinces
Examining Models for a National Pharmacare Program
- What has prompted the recent re-emergence of public calls for national pharmacare?
- What are Canadian health ministers doing to address this issue?
- What are some potential models for national pharmacare that are under discussion?
Marijuana for Medical Purposes Regulation (MMPR) - What Do I Need to Know?
- Marijuana for Medical Purposes Regulations (MMPR)
- Statistics on cannabis usage and results of the CCSN medical cannbis survey
- Differences between licensed producers and dispensaries
- Basic information on medical cannabis usage, adverse effects, potential use and contraindications
- Cannabis varieties
- How to legally access medical cannabis
What Chronic Disease Advocacy Can Offer Cancer Survivors
- Chronic disease advocacy, including:
- Interacting with health systems
- Managing a chronic disease
- How to successfully advocate
- Past challenges & successes
Understanding Your Health Insurance at Work
- Overview of the structure and operation of Canada’s private drug plan marketplace, including the important distinctions and/or overlaps between private (insurance) and public (government) providers
- Explanation of the role and place of medication coverage within the supplemental health benefits plans of life and health insurance companies which provide pharmaceutical coverage
- Identification of the various providers and influencers which contribute to private formulary (lists of drugs which are covered) decision-making and their roles in the system
Developing an Advocacy Plan
- Better appreciate the importance of utilizing key advocacy tools to effect change.
- Understand the practical development and implementation of some of those key tools, including advocacy packages, petitions, postcards and collective letters.
- Understand the practical steps to hosting a “Day at the Legislature”, one of the most impactful advocacy tools an organization can utilize.
Federal Election - What Are the Parties Saying About Healthcare & Cancer?
- Review of responses to CCSN's federal election questionnaire
- Insights on each party's healthcare & cancer care platforms
- Commentary from two veteran patient group representatives on the platforms and responses.
What is a Biosimilar? All You Need to Know About the Current Biologics & Biosimilars Landscape in Canada
- Discussion on biologics, including an explanation of the high level of precision that is required to produce a consistent biological product each time.
- Discussion on the growing interest in biosimilars, followed by what we can learn from Europe’s experience.
- Health Canada’s position on biosimilars, discussion on key issues surrounding biosimilars relevant to the Canadian market.
- The importance of patient safety and patient choice.
Challenges and Innovation in Canadian Access to Treatment and Innovation
- A discussion on the Canadian public and private drug access environment
- A moderated panel on the broader access and innovation context, featuring an update on international access to innovative therapies, patient support programs, and innovative pathways for access to treatments
The Cancer Medication Geographical Roulette in Canada
- A discussion on disparities in provincial reimbursement for cancer medications, and what patients can do about it
- Explanation of the different ways that cancer treatments are managed and funded across Canada, and outline the impact this has on patients depending on where they live in the country
New Directions in Drug Approval in Canada
- A discussion on how new treatments are reviewed and approved for sale in this country, with a particular emphasis on Health Canada’s regulatory modernization initiative
Explanation of patient involvement in Health Canada reviews as well as the special access program.