Home Care Advisory Council

What is the Home Care Advisory Council?

The Home Care Advisory is a group of individuals with lived experience in relation to Home Care services along with family members, natural supports and interested citizens. The Home Care Advisory Council provides an opportunity for the Home Care Program to have on-going input from recipients of home care services and their families. It ensures that there is an improved understanding of needs and issues when designing and delivering Home Care services.

Membership

The Council includes a minimum of eight members to a maximum of 15 members with at least 80 per cent of the council members being individuals with personal experience in relation to home care services (e.g., clients, live-in caregivers). The remaining 20 per cent of members will include individuals that support a person who receives Home Care services (such as a family member) or a member of the community at large who has strong interests in improving WRHA home care services. Efforts are made to ensure citizen and client representatives reflect the diversity of clients served by the home care program (from across the Winnipeg health region, seniors, people with disabilities, etc.) The Council reports to the WRHA Vice President & Chief Operating Officer and is Chaired by the Regional Director of the Home Care Program. WRHA Home Care Program staff members act as meeting facilitators and support the Chairperson in their role.

Advisory Council Role

As representatives of the community, Home Care Advisory Council members perform the following duties:

  • Support the WRHA vision and principles
  • Provide input into the planning, implementation and evaluation of the WRHA Home Care Program.
  • Dialogue on WRHA Home Care Program services and initiatives that impact the lives of clients and their support network.

To learn more, please click here.