Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre: Patient and Family Advisory Committee
The Patient and Family Advisory Committee represents the voice of patient and families who have unique experience, insights, expertise and perspectives to improve care. The council is an opportunity for patients and families to participate and positively shape the patient experience.
Recent experience (within two years) either as a patient, or the family member of a patient being cared for at the health centre is eligible to apply to be a Patient Family Advisor. They partner with staff and physicians to provide direct input into policies, programs and practices which affect the patient experience.
Applications are reviewed by a selection committee. The application process includes a short interview, two reference checks and criminal reference check (including a vulnerable sector check). Results must be submitted confirming a negative two-step Tuberculosis (TB) test.
Patient Family Advisors:
- Share stories about their experiences both positive and negative, to gather insights about each other and better understand how the patient and family experience can be improved;
- Bring an invaluable patient and family perspective to planning and decision making;
- Review and Help Create Education or Information Materials;
- Partner with us on special projects, such as helping to launch a new initiative or plan a patient service or space; and
- Participate in meetings held at a variety of times (usually between 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.).
People who have had a recent experience (within two years) either as a patient or the family member of a patient being cared for at the Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre are eligible to be a Patient Family Advisor, providing they are 18 years old or over. No special qualifications are required. What is most important is their experience as a patient or family member and their willingness to share their story and ideas in a constructive way.
Patient Family Advisors must commit to serving on the council for a minimum of one year. The time commitment and meeting frequency varies depending on the specific projects or activities in which each advisor is participating.